26/03/2009

REGUA (Reserva Ecológica de Guapiaçu)

Thursday March 12
Not very keen to get up this morning after a very disturbed night. The main road is invisible from the Lodge but, the heavy vehicles grinding their way uphill during the night is disturbing when we're used to silence at home.
The half day excursion to a local nature reserve, Reserva Ecologica de Guapi Acu meant a deal of driving on dirt roads through rolling countryside with the usual fantastic backdrop of mountains. Clear and sunny, no cloud at all to obscure the views.
The first stop was to view two raptors perched in dead trees high on a hill.The White-tailed Hawk was immediately identified, the Short-tailed Hawk took a lot of discussion. Plenty of Guira Cuckoos to-day to satisfy Roger who'd missed them so far.
The van was parked at the entrance and immediate excitement, a tree full of Swallow Tanagers, the males a stunning pale airforce blue. Not my photograph - I didn't carry my camera on these walking days as I didn't want to keep ther group waiting whilst I used it. I carry it everywhere at home together with my 'scope.

Some of the group visited the toilet block before we set off and we also viewed the area for the Horneros they found fossicking on the ground nearby.
For the first hour or so, I enjoyed a very pleasant ramble through woodland with plenty of birds to see. Sitting on my stool, which I carried for the first time, I had very good views of a male White-bearded Manakin wing-popping and fizzing at his lek. A family of which I am very fond. Various skulkers such as Sooretama Slaty Ant-Shrike, White-flanked Antwren and Long-billed Wren gave themselves up, responding to Peter's tapes and illuminated by laser pointers. Yellow-backed Tanager was new for the list and for me, another wonderful bird family.

As the morning wore on and got hotter and hotter, the path became very narrow, steeply uphill and the pace increasingly fast as there were no birds seen nor heard.
By the time we reached the wetland area it was 45C in the sun and 36C in the shade - of which there was little.

Positively life draining heat. I lost all will to bird - that takes some doing. The only new bird wanted by me had not been seen all year, hopes were low, but a single male Masked Duck appeared amongst the Whistling Ducks and Brazilian Teal. Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture was also a new trip and world list bird, White-rumped Monjita and Common Waxbills a pleasure to see again. Not enough shade on the causeway for the discussion re whether Muscovy Duck was countable or not! Peter was scathing, others tongue in cheek keen to add it.
Absolutely shattered, steaming hot and wet through, the van was a welcome sight. The whole group sat as soon as they saw some benches in the shade - but shot up when an apparently amazed Peter suggested driving the van over to collect us.
Two Tropical Screech Owls were back in their favoured tree and there we had an unscheduled lecture from Nicholas Locke, the English/Brazilian in charge of the park. This would normally be of interest to me but I departed to sit on the van step, soon joined by Alex. Andy Foster,our Lodge owner, lived here for two years and started the Park off.
The driver, Mauro, had visited his mother in law whilst we were away and noticed some 'different herons'.

A short detour down a track and four lovely Whistling Herons at a roadside pool, flanks and throats heaving as they panted in the extreme heat.
Back in time for a welcome lunch of tasty Chicken Stroganoff and the usual salad etc.
I had a nap after lunch (real oldie stuff) whilst Pam read, we had a coffee on the porch and then I tried again to photograph the Hummingbirds etc. The rest of the group had gone off birding the Lodge Trails again. I wish I still could but have to frustratingly accept that I could in the past. Some of the photographs I took with my Digital Camera Module (DCM)attached to my scope.

Rufous-bellied Thrush



Plain-breasted Thrush


Golden-Chevroned Tanager

Male Brazilian Tanager (I wish it was a better photo)







Some of the other birds photographed in the garden

Blue Dacnis


House Wren


Violet-capped Woodnymph




Red-necked Tanager


Sayaca Tanager


Swallow-tailed Hummingbird


Saffron Finch




Chestnut-bellied Euphonia


Grey-hooded Flycatcher






No comments:

Post a Comment